Welcome to Golden City Aurangabad(Maharashtra)
The city was founded in 1610 A.D. by Malik Amber, the Prime Minister of Murtaza Nizam Shah of Ahmednagar on the site of the village called Khirki. He made it his Capital and the men of his army raised their dwellings around it. Within a decade Khirki grew in a populous and imposing city. However, It was ravaged and burnt down in 1621 by the imperial troops under Shah Jahan. Fateh Khan son of Malik Amber changed the name of Khirki to Fatehnagar.
In 1633, when Prince Aurangzeb was appointed the Viceroy of the Deccan for the second time, he made Fatehnagar his Capital and called it Aurangabad.
History of this dates back to the second century B.C., which indicates that it was located on ancient trade route from Ujjaini (North) to Pratishthana (Paithan), Capital of Satawahana, and the Tagare (Modernter) in South. The district of Aurangabad had attained high level of prosperity during these days. It containded Pratishthana, Capital of Satwahanas as the centre of trade. In addition to North–South trade links it had also trade links with Nasik, Kalyan, Shupara and Baruchha in West.